Toxic positivity is infesting social media and our culture. It needs to STOP. It begins with addressing toxic positivity with your own emotions first. If you don’t address it, it’s going to keep you stuck running on the yo-yo diet/body hate shame cycle. Let’s talk about how to change that.
Things Discussed in This Episode
- What is toxic positivity?
- Why an honest and real friend is always better than the “everything will be ok” friend.
- Why I’m so suspicious about people that are happy and and “nice” 24/7. It’s fake, inauthentic, and harmful.
- The problems with so called self-help gurus in spreading toxic positivity…cough, cough, Rachel Hollis.
- Emotions are not “good” or “bad,” or all positive or all negative. Emotions are a guiding light alerting us to pay attention.
How Toxic Positivity Shows Up
- Unpleasant emotions make you uncomfortable…yours or other people so you sugar coat it with “positive vibes.”
- Examples of toxic positivity statements: Good vibes only, happiness is a choice, everything happens for a reason, just think positive. It could be worse.
- You stay surface level with yourself and others. There’s no deep connection or meaning.
- You funnel your denial into people pleasing so that everyone can see you as “nice.”
- You invalidate those unpleasant emotions, shaming and guilting yourself and/or others for feeling that way.
- Feeling a specific emotion doesn’t define you. For example, if you feel sad that doesn’t mean you are a sad person.
- We are human. We are complex. We experience a range of emotions in one day.
How to Squash Toxic Positivity
- We need to move emotions out of our body. It’s energy and it needs to be felt and released. Sugar coating it doesn’t make it go away.
- Get out of denial and accept that suffering and discomfort is just part of the human experience. You aren’t programmed to be happy and positive 24/7.
- Allow yourself to feel what you feel without judgement. Sit in the discomfort. That is the only way. Sugar coating a situation doesn’t make it go away. It pushes it down, and creates subconscious behavior like overeating and not understanding why you keep doing it.
If you’re ready to learn if my signature coaching program, Irresistible You, is a good fit for you, let’s hop on a free Confidence Clarity Call to see if I can help you achieve your goals. Schedule your date and time. Click here to sign up.
Listen To The Podcast Episode!
Head on over and listen to the Irresistible You podcast for this episode and more just like it. You can subscribe with iTunes, Stitcher, Google Music, or your fav podcast player. Search for Irresistible You. When you subscribe with a podcast app, you’ll get notified each time I publish a new episode.
Also, if the podcast has helped you, please leave a rating and review on iTunes. This helps me know what’s working and allows the podcast to be shown to other women who need to be part of our community. Leave your review here.
You can also stream the episode and listen right here:
Watch the Podcast on YouTube
Did you know I’m on YouTube? If you prefer to watch the podcast, check it out. Be sure to subscribe and get notified when I publish a new video.
Join the #IrresistibleYou Movement
Use the hashtag #IrresistibleYou on Instagram and across social media to show how you are creating and living an irresistible life. Use the hashtag to search for others who are going through the same journey with us! Plus, I’ll be re-posting and sharing some of my fav photos and stories.
Let’s Stay Connected!
The best place to connect and chat with me is on Instagram and my Irresistible You Facebook Group. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.