This weeks Friend Friday topic by Modly Chic is “Finding the Balance.” Ahh, the age old dilemma of finding a work/life balance. I work at this every single day. I don’t know if it’s ever possible but there are strategies to make it easier. I’m a workaholic. I absolutely love my career. I put my heart and soul into everything I do. It’s just the way I am. I also love my family. I love my free time.
So, how do I make it all work for me? Keep reading, dolls!
1. When it comes to prioritizing your life, in what place does blogging fall?
These days I am fortunate enough that blogging is one of my top priorities. For those that don’t know, I made a tough decision to quit my corporate job of 7 years in September 2010 to pursue my dreams of entrepreneurship. I took the biggest leap of faith in my life to pursue REAL happiness. I’ve always wanted to own my own business which consists of consulting, instructional design, professional blogging, and writing.
I make my own hours. I work from home. I have freedom. And, I make way more money than I did as a corporate prisoner. I also work really, really, hard. I catch myself not being able to “turn off” the work button. I live and breathe it.
It hasn’t been 100% easy. I’m not completely finished. BUT, I’m incredibly happy and wouldn’t go back for any amount of money! Some people didn’t understand my decision or have shown jealously towards it. To those people I say, we are all 100% responsible for our own happiness and for the way we want our life to be. I have never felt so in control of my life and my career. It’s empowering!
|Sometimes it’s a hat day when I work from home. I get too caught up working to straighten my hair! Bad, I know!|
2. We all wish we had more free time to dedicate to blogging and all it entails. What are your tricks for taking advantage of the time you do have to be as productive as possible?
I struggle with wanting to do it all but not having enough time. I have so many ideas and things that I’m excited to launch. But, I’m limited to how many hours are in the day. I always make a to-do list at the end of the day. That way, I can start my mornings with a clear path and my day is prioritized. Things often come up that aren’t always on the list but it’s a great guide and it keeps me grounded.
3. Have you discovered any short-cuts that makes blogging easier or more time efficient?
I am the queen of short cuts!
1. Google Calendar – I have a calendar for each of my blogs, my instructional design business, and my personal life. I can see all the tasks, appointments, and projects in one view. This helps in planning weekly blog posts. I color code each “calendar” for quick views. I highly recommend this to all bloggers. I can provide a tutorial if you are interested 🙂
2. A Smart Phone – I have an Android powered phone, the LG Ally. This little mama keeps me sane. I can check emails, appointments, Facebook, Twitter, and catch up on reading blog posts on the go. I no longer get pissed when I have to wait anywhere. I look at it as an opportunity to take a breather and catch up on a few things!
3. A Notebook (yes, a real one that requires a pen!) I like to keep a small notebook with me at all times. I write out my to-do list here and jot down notes as I think of things. I have a random & creative mind. I sometimes get my most creative ideas in the shower or while I’m out running errands! I don’t want to forget them! Write things down. You never know what the “silliest” idea can transform into!
|I don’t have the original image source. If you do, let me know. My phone case looks just like this! Tee Hee!|
4. Do you have an editorial calendar or something similar that helps you plan ahead?
Like I mentioned in question # 3, I rely on Google Calendar to help plan out my posts. I don’t always plan out posts. I do have certain days of the week that are theme days. I like to stay committed to those because it’s important to my readers. I also like to post things randomly as they come into my crazy little head!
5. If time wasn’t an issue what you would be doing on your blog/for your blog that you aren’t doing now?
I am really missing my Irresistible Fashion posts. I have it on my to-do list to start doing them again. I have been working on a BIG secret project for Irresistible Icing that has my attention at the moment. However, they are coming back and I can’t wait to share all the new things that are coming on the blog! Believe me, it’s going to be irresistible!
How do you find the balance in blogging? Leave me a comment and we can talk about it!
“I believe that being successful means having a balance of success stories across the many areas of your life. You can’t truly be considered successful in your business life if your home life is in shambles.”~Zig Ziglar~